"This is all I have learned: God made us plain and simple, but we have made ourselves very complicated." -Ecclesiastes 7:29-

I've moved!

The Articulate{1} blog has moved to articulate1.tumblr.com. Please stop by for a visit!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Release

Last night my mind was kept up by thoughts of poetry. Little thoughts were tapping me on my shoulder seemingly saying, "Excuse me, um excuse me. I'm here for you. Do something with me please." And so, per their request, I did not ignore these thoughts. I paid close attention to their suggestions, "Put me here. Join me with that thought. I belong there." What resulted was the first poem I have written in quite some time and it was the accomplishment of my day. I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning in order to weave these thoughts into meaning before they slipped away and escaped me forever. The ironic part is that I denied myself sleep so as to pen a poem about cherishing sleep. Funny how that works out isn't it? Well, at least I think that it is funny. Anywho, here is the poem...

"Release"

When sleep comes and settles
into the seams of your eyes
for the evening,
quietly sealing away
the chaos of the world,
I hope it opens up the doors
painted in red, yellow, blue, and green
to your similarly vivid dreams.
So that in sleep you are awakened
to the truth you have desperately stored
in a forgotten nook of your heart.
I pray you release yourself
and reach in then out
into the endless possibilities.
That you roam freely under
the forgiving starry sky,
tending to your spirit along the way.
And when you feel your body start to stir
I hope you gather your being back up
with open arms and return
to the boundaries of your body.
May you gently wipe the sleep from your eyes
and peer through your fluttering eyelashes
before welcoming the light of a shiny new morning.
Awaking with peace and thanks
to another day of the merciful mess
affectionately known as life.

No comments: